Are you a subject matter expert? Do you possess good technical skills and also have a flair for writing? Then technical writing might be the field of your interest. The demand for technical writers has proliferated. This is due to its significance in translating complex technical communication to the audience in simple language. In this article, we will discover the top ten technical writing courses in Jaipur.
Jaipur is just not a tourist spot anymore. It is also a hub for many organizations in varied sectors. Thus, the demand for technical writers has boomed in the city. Pursuing Technical writing courses in Jaipur will enable you to bridge your technical and writing skills. Let us understand what is technical writing and its varied facets of it. The questions will also answer how technical writing courses in Jaipur will enable you in the job market.
What is Technical Writing?
Every field IT, medical, aeronautics, finance, electronics, etc has its industry jargon. This at times is incomprehensible to a non-industry person. Communication from these specialized fields to the audience requires a specific style of writing. This is where technical writing comes into the picture. It merges technical and factual information with writing that is incisive.
Technical Writing is audience-specific writing. It ensures a clear, concise, and correct way to relay the information to its intended audience. In technical writing, there is no beating around the bush. It is an unclouded representation and communication of information via informed choices of words, diagrams, or graphs.
Few Examples of Technical Writing
- Instruction manuals
- White paper
- Product descriptions
- Research Journals
- Case studies
- Press releases
- Audit Reports
- Book Review
- Scientific reports
- Software and Hardware guides
- Business Proposals
- Product Comparisons
Why Choose to be a Technical Writer:
Once considered a mundane job skill to possess, technical writing is now riding the technological wave. Everything is getting digitized. A tsunami of progress in the IT industry has opened a plethora of opportunities. What is the clamoring demand for these advancements? The answer is Technical Writers.
More and more companies are hiring technical writers. The purpose is to put their technological content, simply and accurately for the end-user to understand. This job market is touted to grow 20% every year. Technical writing courses in Jaipur or any other city will help you gain an expert edge before diving into this job market.
Recommended Read: Content Writing Courses in Jaipur
Types of Technical Writing
- End-user documentation: These are technical instruction guides for the end-user. For example, a guide to using mobiles and laptops.
- Traditional Technical Writing: This type of technical writing is written for an experienced audience. The expertise of the audience has to be considered while writing this type. For example, medical and legal studies, white papers, and API documentation.
- Technical Marketing Communications: This type of technical writing details the marketing aspect of a product. Press releases, advertisements, and catalogs are some examples.
Skills required to be a Technical Writer
1) Technical Skills:
Technical writers require the essential skills of understanding the technology they are writing for. While writing for the IT industry you would need to know the programming language. This field does not mandate a degree to write for a particular technical product. However, a technical writer must have the skill to comprehend the technology and possess conceptual knowledge.
2) research skills:
Technical writing cannot be achieved without possessing thorough research skills. As the writing is specialized, a technical writer should be able to research extensively. A technical writer can write for any discipline provided he/she has sound research skills. This is a critical skill required, that forms the basis of technical writing.
3) Writing Skills:
Technical Writing requires a style of writing that does not employ long, wordy and confusing sentences. The writing has to be clear and concise. There should be no grammatical mistakes.
4) Interviewing Skills:
A technical writer will have to communicate with product specialists and subject matter experts to understand the product or the technology. He/she should have the skills to ask the right and relevant questions to execute the writing work later on. For this, a technical writer needs to be prepared with sound research beforehand.
5) Expert Understanding of the Audience:
It is essential to understand whom the writing is intended for. Also, the level of technical knowledge of the audience needs to be understood. The user experience needs to be tested. Is your audience grasping the technical documentation? This is something a technical writer needs to evaluate in his writing all along.
6) Editing and Proofreading Skills:
A good technical writer should know how to edit the work so that clear communication is maintained throughout. Reviewing the content, proofreading, and ensuring that the technical vocabulary is not convoluted are critical points to consider.
7) Knowledge of Tools:
Whether it is writing, designing, documentation, or graphics, the technical writer should know how to use tools to leverage the benefits.
Some useful tools are:
- Document 360
- Adobe Framework
- Adobe Photoshop
- Windows Snipping Tool
- Text Editor for HTML
- Microsoft Visio
Top 10 Technical Writing Courses in Jaipur:
1. IIM Skills
The course offered by IIM Skills is rated as one of the best Technical Writing Courses in Jaipur and many other cities in India. The course provides lifelong access to its Learning Management Systems. It is a comprehensive course that covers all aspects of Technical Writing. If you are looking for technical writing courses in Jaipur, IIM Skills is the best place to learn from. What sets IIM Skills apart, is that the faculty and team are prompt in assisting with any type of query.
Eligibility: Any graduate is eligible for this course.
Duration: Five Weeks
Course Fee : Rs 14,900 + 18% GST
Salient Features of the Course are:
- 5 weeks of live online training
- Lectures of 20 hours
- Practical Assignments of 60+ hours
- Access to software tools
- One month GuaranteedInternship
- Publishing of white paper
- Publishing of Blog
- Publishing of a scholarly article
The Extensive curriculum is expertly curated to include the following topics:
- Writing Of Technical Reports
- Writing of White Paper/Journals
- Learn DDLC and Versioning
- Conversational Writing
- Learn the art of Medical Writing
- Learn how to do Effective Writing
- Learn the process of Review and publishing
- Learn API documentation using XML
- Datasheets, User Manuals, and application notes.
- Case Study-Application Notes from Texas
Other courses offered by IIM Skills:
2. Society for Technical Communication
STC is the world’s oldest and most prestigious Technical Communication association. Intercom and Technical Communication are their award-winning publications.
Duration: Five weeks.
Course Fee: $ 595USD
The course addresses the following objectives:
- What are telecommunication and the careers offered in this field?
- Different styles of Documentation written by Technical Writers.
- Tools used by Technical Writers.
- Best practices used by Technical Writers.
- Getting established in your first technical writing job.
The course is covered in six sessions:
Session 1: Intro to Tech Comm
Session 2: Technical Writing Examples
Session 3: Tools Practicum (Part 1)
Session 4: Tools Practicum (Part 2)
Session 5: Technical Writing Best Practices
Session 6: Finding Your First Job
Recommended Read: Digital Marketing Courses in Jaipur
Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology offers a five-week course on technical writing via Coursera. The course teaches various styles of Technical Writing.
Broad features of the course are:
- Week 1: Introductory Video
- Week 2: This module takes five hours to complete and focuses on workplace research and the issues related to it.
- Week 3: Module 2 takes six hours to complete. It emphasizes the various graphic tools used to create visuals. It also teaches how to plan effectively for technical writing.
- Week 4: Module 3 takes five hours to complete. It teaches about the feasibility and recommendation reports.
- Week 5:Module 4 takes three hours to complete and includes practice exercises apart from other course topics.
Udemy has a multitude of Technical Writing courses to choose from. It is a great place to learn online technical writing courses.
Some of the popular courses offered are by:
- Ugur Akinci
- Peter Gruenbaum
The course by Ugur Akinci teaches various principles of technical writing and editing. The course can be finished at your own pace.
Course Price: Rs 12,800
- 107 lectures
- 17 hours of video
- 22 exercises and 22 solution sheets
- 6 PDF books
- 36 quizzes
- 40 PDF Supplementary Products
- Lifetime Access
- Completion Certification given
- The final assignment is personally reviewed by Ugur Akinci
- 30 day no question asked money-back guarantee
There are three different courses offered by Peter Gruenbaum.
- API Technical Writing which includes JSON and XML for writers
Course Fee: Priced at Rs1600, it is available at a discounted price of Rs 455.
No programming experience is needed for this course. It teaches documentation of structured data.
The course topics are:
- Write documentation for JSON and XML files, for API documentation or alternative types of documentation.
- Understanding of structured data in JSON and XML formats.
- Learn how to edit JSON and XML for tools that generate documentation.
- API Technical Writing 2
This course teaches documentation of REST.
Course Fee: Priced at Rs 2560, it is available at a discounted price of Rs. 455.
- Understanding of REST basic concepts.
- Understand the basics of authentication and authorization.
- Understand the editing of JSON and XML for tools that generate documentation.
- The Art of API Documentation
API Documentation 3: This course teaches technical writers how to write API overview material, tutorials, etc.
Course Fee: Priced at Rs. 1167, it is also available at the discounted price of Rs. 455.
- API conceptual documentation writing, examples: overviews, getting started sections, and tutorials.
- Making calls to REST APIs via visual and command-line tools.
- Finding an open-source project to document to gain experience.
5. Google Technical Writing Course
Google provides free technical writing courses specifically for engineers, product managers, and computer science students. Google’s engineers have been long using these courses to improve their technical skills. Proficiency in English and knowledge of coding are required skills for this course. The course entails pre-class content which introduces the concepts. Then there are in-class lessons that make you practice those concepts.
There are two categories to this course:
Technical Writing 1: This course instructs on the basics of technical writing.
Technical Writing 2: This covers many aspects of technical writing.
The goals of pre-class learning of this course are mentioned below. The in-class learning takes these concepts a level up.
- Learning how to write first, second, and third drafts.
- Detecting writing mistakes.
- Organizing large documents.
- Writing clear captions.
- Using proper information density while preparing technical illustrations.
- Revising technical illustrations in an effective manner
- The course teaches different styles of documentation.
- Gives an understanding of the beginner audience. Also explains how to draft tutorials for them.
Recommended Read: Technical Writing Courses in Pune
6. LinkedIn Learning
LinkedIn is a great platform to earn a sharable certificate for technical writing courses in Jaipur. LinkedIn has a variety of courses to offer.
Course Name: Technical Writing: Quick Start Guides
Course Instructor: Leslie O’Flahavan
Course Fee: Post a one-month Free trial the course can be bought for Rs 899.99
The course covers how to write clear headings using simple language. Know-how of getting well-founded feedback from the subject matter experts is also well covered in the course.
7. Technical Writer HQ:
Technical Writer HQ provides a self-paced certification course of one-month duration. The course has free lifetime access. The course has particular significance to beginners.
Course Fee: $299
Broad features of the course:
- Getting acquainted with Technical Writing.
- Procedures for writing technical documentation.
- How to format technical documentation.
- Acing interviews and landing technical writing jobs.
ECT rolls out two technical writing courses certified by the government.
Course Name: Technical Writing Course
Course Fee: Rs 19,999
Duration: 3 months
- 32 hours of classroom learning.
- Six assignments and six live projects.
- 12 quizzes.
Duration: 3 to 6 months
Course Fee: Rs 39,999
- 96 hours of classroom learning.
- 18 assignments and 18 live projects.
- 36 quizzes.
- 4 certifications.
Recommended Read: Technical Writing Courses in Delhi
9. Blue Dot Consultancy
Touted as one of the promising consultancies of 2017, Blue Dot Consultancy offers a two-month course. The course teaches varied processes, documentation, and concepts of technical writing. One also gets to learn different technical tools. Assignments and projects further strengthen the learning.
10. Henry Harvin
Henry Harvin courses are one of the top-rated courses. The course is covered in 32 hours of live online training.
Course Fee Details:
Self-Paced Course Fee: Rs 13,500
Online Live Class Fee: Rs 15,000
The course curriculum entails the following:
- Technical Writing Introduction
- Documentation Process
- Process of Technical Writing
- Grammar and Editing
- Software Tools Required for Technical Writing
- Technical Documents and its components
- Techniques used in Technical Writing
- Creating a Technical Document Template
- Formats of Technical Documents
- Use of Technical Writing Tools
- Complimentary Modules: teaching soft skills and resume creation.
Q1) How does one become a technical writer?
After completing your bachelor’s degree, you can enroll in a technical; writing course. The course will augment your learnings with the required technical skills. Practice your writing and create a portfolio. Next, expand your professional network to get job opportunities. One can also get a paid or unpaid internship to learn the ropes of this profession.
Q2) Does technical writing require any prior degree?
A bachelor’s degree in English, Computers, Medicine, Engineering, or Science is the first step towards the technical writing profession. An Add-on course related to technical writing or technical communications increases job prospects.
Q3) Are technical writing courses in Jaipur in demand?
Statistics have shown that the demand for technical writers will grow leaps and bounds due to the growing need for technology in every industry. Hence technical writers will be required in all fields in the coming years.
Q4) What is the average pay scale for a technical writer?
The average salary of a technical writer is Rs 4.97 lakhs. The pay scale varies from Rs 2.29 lakhs to Rs 10 lakhs per annum.
Q5) Does one require technical writing certification?
It is not mandatory to earn a certification to become a technical writer. But if you are a beginner looking for the best technical writing courses in Jaipur, then a certification will help you earn technical expertise and give you a professional edge.
Q6) Which college provides technical writing courses in Jaipur?
SCDL Pune has a technical writing diploma course.
Technical Writing is not a new profession. But it has evolved along with the growth of the technological sector. Organizations require technical writers to simplify communication which can be internal or external. If you are looking for the best technical writing courses in Jaipur evaluate your end objectives once you complete the course. This will help in choosing the appropriate course. Hope the article gave you sufficient information about finding the best technical writing courses in Jaipur.