Swayam Courses: Eligibility, Fees, Career Scope, Salary and More
An Introduction to Swayam Courses
Swayam means “self” in Sanskrit which stands for-
W- Webs of
A-Active Learning for
Swayam is an initiative which is launched by the Ministry of Human Resource and Development (M.H.R.D) which is now known as (Ministry of Education), Government of India under Digital India to give a proper platform and entry to the online courses which cover the education of every advanced level, for high school and also education related to all the skills required to move forward. This initiative was launched on 9th July 2017.
SWAYAM has been developed jointly by MHRD (Ministry of Human Resource and Development) and AICTE (All India Council for Technical Education) with the help of the updated Microsoft which can provide almost two thousand courses. Access to this platform is free to everyone and it provides courses from class 9 till the post-graduation stage. It also has the facility of accessing the faculties and professors who are certified under institutes that are centrally funded such as IITs, IIMs, IISERs to teach students across.
As per the updated numbers SWAYAM has 203 partnering institutes, till now there is 2748 number of completed courses, approximately 12,541,992 enrollments done, 9,15,538 examinations conducted, and 6,54,664 certifications provided.
How do SWAYAM functions?
SWAYAM operates MOOC (Massive open online course) to all the people worldwide in different structures and methods. Learning through SWAYAM are mostly divided into four parts which include-
- Open forums for discussions
Let us read about these four methods in details-
- E-tutorial- The first method includes not giving much extra work to the students. It allows a student to learn how to make videos, animation, PowerPoint presentations, podcasts, and the list continues. This also depends on what subject is been taught and what is the strategy of the teacher to teach the students.
- E-Content- The second method includes teaching students a greater number of case studies, providing content in electronic form, teaching more through illustrations, and giving references for the same.
- Open Forum for discussions- The third stage includes solving more of student’s queries. This is an opportunity for all the students to interact with each other and discuss in an open forum. This is also a platform for all the teachers and students to clear their doubts. Therefore, this stage can be described as a doubt clearing session.
- Assessments- The fourth and final stage involves self-assessment of the students which helps teachers to decide whether students can get certified or not. This assessment can be taken in either subjective form or in objective form too in MCQs format. This step includes an option of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section as well which helps the students to clear all the misconceptions related to their course and how to move forward as well in their career.
Coordinators appointed for Management-
There are nine national coordinators appointed by MHRD to handle the courses initiated by SWAYAM. Each coordinator is appointed to manage different sections of management which include-
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has been appointed National coordinator for self-paced and international courses.
- National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) has been appointed National coordinator for engineering sector courses.
- University Grants Commission (UGC) has been appointed National coordinator for non-technical post-graduate education.
- Consortium for Educational Communication (CEC) has been appointed National coordinator for undergraduate education.
- National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has been appointed National coordinator for school education.
- National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) has been appointed National coordinator for school education.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) has been appointed National coordinator for out-of-school students.
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIMB) has been appointed a National coordinator for management studies.
- National Institute of Technical Teachers Training and Research (NITTTR) has been appointed National coordinator for the Teacher training program.
What is NPTEL(NATIONAL PROGRAMME ON TECHNOLOGY ENHANCED LEARNING)?
National program on Technology-enhanced Learning (NPTEL) is a project initiated by MHRD(Ministry of Human Resource and Development) which is also taken up by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (Bombay, Delhi, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Madras, Guwahati, Madras, and Roorkee) along with the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 2003 with to provide quality education to the students from IIT teachers. The main aim is to provide online courses through web courses and video courses as well in all the branches of mainly engineering and physical science along with providing the facility of these courses of management for under-graduate and post-graduate students too.
Online certification courses under National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL)
An online platform of 4-, 8- and 12-weeks online program which covers topics related to the basic core studies of higher education with science and humanities giving exposure to the technology as well. Admission to these courses involves no amount of fees which means enrolment is completely free. But certification exam is conducted for an amount of INR1000 per course and a certificate is provided to the students enrolled for the course. If applicable certification is provided to the candidates by the institute participating as well as the industries taking part in it.
The main goal of NPTEL phase I was to build more awareness and education facility in the field of engineering and also the courses related to the core science which was introduced in NPTEL phase II. Apart from this additional 600 courses were also introduced through the web as well as video courses including management programs for the under-graduate as well as post-graduate students.
NPTEL online courses-
NPTEL started offering online courses in the year March 2014 along with an opportunity of providing certifications from IIT as well if the candidates can complete their course successfully. It is now possible for any student even if he or she is outside the IIT system as well can get the certificate from IIT as well if they enroll for the courses in NPTEL and clear it successfully. IITs are taking this initiative and taking out education to the houses of the people and create awareness so that everyone gets an opportunity to learn and be educated in the field of their choice.
Professional courses to check out
Why was this initiative was started only through online mode?
There are certain reasons for taking this initiative through online platform only which includes-
- NPTEL a massive open online course (MOOC) is a platform that is non-parallel in its form. This platform includes a process of teaching through pre-recorded lectures, videos, recording of the existing videos as well, lecture notes, assignments, and quizzes as well. Along with all these options, self-assessment is also done through online mode so that the candidates enrolled for the course can be reviewed and provide certification accordingly.
- Learning under this platform is done within a specified time duration for the courses to be complete in the given assigned time. Therefore, the participation of all the teachers is required continuously so that the large number of students enrolling in the classes can be synchronized together at once for the class. This also requires a good internet connection as well so that classes can be taken in a proper manner as well as recordings if required can also be given to the students in the class.
- These courses are open to everyone for accessing it without any cost involved. So, anyone who is interested to enrol for this course can have unlimited access to quality content to study for the examination and get certified along with the proper notes and assignments with self-assessment as well.
- Teachers and faculties who are guiding students for these courses are well reputed and from institutes like IITs, CMI, I MSc, etc.
Are NPTEL and SWAYAM are the same thing?
NPTEL (National Program on Technology Enhanced Learning) is known as the official SWAYAM national coordinator for courses in engineering only. NPTEL certification courses can be taken as SWAYAM courses as well. These courses are available on the SWAYAM platform as well. This is also known as the NPTEL course as well which was offered to the student in January 2017 semester.
Courses offered in SWAYAM-
SWAYAM is defined as the largest online platform which was designed to achieve three main motives for the education system in India which includes-
Class Central is the one who is keeping a close track of the progress of the SWAYAM since it was first launched in August 2014. After its beta was launched in July 2017 there are about 10 million learners who have enrolled for these courses getting benefitted from the platform which is completely online.
Following is the list of courses offered by SWAYAM which is subject-wise categorized too-
Maths basics + advanced
i)courses related to academic writing is being taught
ii) German subject is been taught from IIT, Madras
iii) Effective writing is been covered from IIT, Roorkee.
iv) English Literature of the romantic period is taught from IIT.
v) English for competitive language is covered from IIT, Roorkee.
vi) German Part 2 is covered from IIT, Roorkee.
vii) History covering 20th century from IIT, Madras.
viii)Science language covering its basics from IIT, Madras.
ix) Literary science from IIT, Madras.
x) Modern literature covering all the writing and reading skills from IIT, Madras.
i)Economics covering all the mathematical calculations from Doon University.
ii) Commutative Algebra (Introduction + basics) from IIT.
iii) Analytics and designing from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
iv) Critical thinking is also covered from AICTE
v) Statistical mathematics is covered from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
vi) Mechanics covering all statistical covering from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
vii) Calculus – 1 covering all the basics from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
viii)Linear Algebra from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
ix) probability and Statistics (introduction + basics)from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
x) Electrical engineers covering all the basics from the Indian Institute of technology madras
i)Animation subject is covered from Banaras Hindu University
ii) Python covering all the mathematics basics from the Indian Institute of Technology
iii) computing from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
iv) Problem-solving knowledge from CEC
v) Testing software knowledge from the Indian Institute of Technology Bangalore
vi) Numerical Computation in Mat programming from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
vii) Database Systems covering all the basics from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
viii) Data Base System from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
ix) Java programming from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
x) Introduction to the internet world and covering all the basics.
4. Computer Science
Introduction to Cyber Security from IGNOU
- Introduction to the internet world from Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Introduction to the learning of machine world from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Solving problems with the help of programming C from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
- Learning all about machine learning from KTH Royal Institute of Technology
- Learning all about programming and data analytics from Chennai Mathematical Institute
- Algorithm designing and mathematical programming from Chennai Mathematical Institute
- Architecture learning through the computer from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Basics covering all the technical parts and all the decision making related to strategic ways and means from NPTEL
- Learning reasoning from all the technical part from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
5. Health & Medicine
- In-depth knowledge of Foods and Nutraceuticals from Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
- Fundamentals related to health research from National Institute of Epidemiology
- Learning about psychology facts in detail from the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
- History covering all online refresher course from AICTE
- Refresher course covering all the pharmacy parts from AICTE
- Areas emerging across all the sectors from AICTE
- Food nutrition for all the living necessities from NCERT
- Community health from NIOS
- Vocational beauty knowledge from NIOS
- Panchkrama assistant from NIOS
- Health and disease management.
6. Social Sciences
- Direct tax in details from Tezpur University
- Cognitive Psychology (introduction + basics) from Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
- Environmental Sustainability certification course from IGNOU
- Constitutional Law covering advanced level from CEC
- Patent Drafting covering all the basics from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- English languages from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Engineers and Scientists advanced level from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Econometrics basics from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Cultural Studies basics from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Political ideologies basics and advanced level from Indian Institute of Technology Madras
To know more details about the courses offered under all the categories of subjects please click on https://www.classcentral.com/report/swayam-moocs-course-list/.
Eligibility Criteria for Enrolling for SWAYAM courses-
To pursue courses under SWAYAM there is no specific eligibility because this initiative aims to increase the skills, knowledge, of every individual worldwide. Online courses under SWAYAM can be accessed by anyone of any age, belonging to any caste or any location can enroll for this course as this platform is completely online. And all of them can log in to the SWAYAM portal. Nevertheless, the criteria to enroll for a particular course needs to be checked before enrolling for it.
All the candidates enrolling for it should secure at least 40% in the self-assessment test to get the certification and they are eligible to be declared as a pass from the course.
Also Read: Courses After 10th: Ultimate Guide to Career After 10th
Any individual willing to enroll for the courses under SWAYAM needs to go through the following process-
- Interested candidates need to visit the official website of the SWAYAM portal from https://swayam.gov.in.
- Post which they need to click on the register button on the homepage
- New candidates need to create their user id and passwords and existing users can log in from their existing social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram.
- After logging in the candidate will be taken to the next page wherein, they need to fill in the required details for registering for the course of the program.
- All the candidates registering will then receive a verification code in their email ids and then click on the create account option.
Q. What are Courses in Swayam?
Ans- There are just so many courses that one can go for under Swayam Courses. All the courses list can be found on the website.
Q. What are the Fees for Swayam Courses?
Ans- The courses are absolutely free for all to pursue however to qualify for the exams, the students will have to registered for a proctored test and that has a fee that students will have to pay.
Q. How do I Join Swayam Courses?
Ans- Well, you can join the courses through their online portal or the website for Swayam Courses. You’ll have to check for upcoming or Ongoing courses and decide accordingly.
Swayam courses are the one that can be considered valuable and relevant as it offers an option of credit transfer (it is defined as a system where units completed during a particular degree or diploma can be transferred from one course to another) across pan India initiated by Government of India which is not easily available in any other courses available for us to pursue. As per the recent research as well any degree or diploma pursued by an individual should have at least 10% of their total courses certified by SWAYAM courses.
Also, the SWAYAM course certificate is equally valuable to the NPTEL certificate. As this course is free of charge to enroll only with the minimum fee required to clear the self-assessment exam it creates a great opportunity for any individual whether poor or rich to pursue their course. It is easily affordable for every learner. Also, this course is accessible on an online platform that means it becomes very easy for any student to learn in their comfort zone and get as many certificates as they want.
The most added advantage to it is that this initiative was taken by our Government of India also provides opportunities for any age group learners to learn and get certified in their comfort zone. With only minimal cost it also gives us an option of studying from teaches who are well certified and reputed from institutions like IIT.
Along with all this, the main focus of this initiative is to provide knowledge of different courses along with allowing polishing your existing skills as well as changing the rules of running the education system as well.