Data Science has become one of the very popular career choices, and many students are looking for answers to How to Become a Data Scientist in India. Well, before you try for a career in Data Science, you must know about the very details of the course.
The details like eligibility criteria, course details, fees, topics involved, and more will help the students to make more informed decisions.
What is Data Science?
Data science can be defined as a rebellious field that uses methods, algorithms, systems in a scientific way to take out data and insight knowledge from data which can be either structured or non-structured. The data and insight knowledge derived from these methods and techniques are used in a broad way for different domains of applications that are used by everyone. Data science can also be related to the learning of machines, to data mining, and also related to huge data.
Data science can also be defined as a concept to bring together data related to statistics, data analysis, and other related information methods to understand and analyze the actual occurrence of data. It also involves the uses of different techniques and methods which are theoretical from many other fields such as statistics, mathematics, computer science, information science, and information related to the domain as well. However, data science is completely different from computer science and information science as well.
Who is a data scientist?
A data scientist can be defined as a person who usually gathers and analyzes data in larger volumes, either structured or unstructured. Their role also involves a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. Their job is also to analyze and exercise the data and then interpret the results to create useful plans for companies and other organizations.
Data scientists can also be defined as analytical experts who utilize their talent both in the field of technology as well as science to discover new trends and manage the data in their way. They also use knowledge related to industries, understanding the content, analyzing the existing results taken out in the data they are working on to display the solutions to challenges appearing to run the business.
Usually, the role of a data scientist typically includes creating meaning out of data that is not in proper order and unstructured too for others to understand. For example, data coming out of the sources such as smartphone devices, data are given in the fields of the social media platform or even mails or even short message services which people use more often does not fit into the database on which data scientist works on.
Creating technical data more simply is not the only quality or skill that is important to become a data scientist. Data scientists are also involved in setting the business and presenting the data which is complex and also present ideas too which involves complex data which helps to make organizational decisions for the future growth of the company. Therefore, it is very important to have good communication skills, the quality of a team leader, as well as thinking in a high- level analytical ways and means.
Data scientists and data managers who are experiences are given a job to clean process and store the data keeping in mind the company’s best practices as well. They also work jointly with other teams of the organization as well such as the marketing team, customer services team, the team dealing with operations, etc. Their profile is usually considered to be very reputed as their demand is also more in the organization which is depicted from their role in the company as well as from their salary structure.
Roles and responsibilities of a Data scientist-
The role of a data scientist involves working closely with the stakeholders of the business to have a clear understanding of their goals and decide how this data can be used in a way to achieve their goals. The process of creating the data involves creating algorithms to generate data for the need of the organization and helping to analyze the data and sharing it with the higher officials of an organization. While each client needs to be treated differently the process of gathering and analyzing the data involves the following roles and responsibilities of a data scientist which they need to fulfill. Let us study them in details-
- Asking the right set of questions to begin with analyzing process.
- Acquiring data
- Processing and cleaning the data
- Integrating and storing the data
- Investing and exploring data in the initial stage
- Choosing more than one model and algorithms which is also potential.
- Applying different techniques such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistical modeling.
- Measuring and improving data in such a way so that creative data can be easily modified into simple ways.
- Presenting final reports in front of the stakeholders
- After presenting the reports making adjustments as per the requirement is also a key role of a data scientist.
- Repeating the process and solving a new problem with different techniques altogether.
Advantages and Disadvantages to chooses a data scientist as a career?
Data Science has become a very new technology about which everyone seems to talk about a lot nowadays. It is declared as one of the best jobs in the 21st century as well. This is something wherein people do talk about having less knowledge about it.
While many students wish to become a data scientist they need to understand the advantages and disadvantages of becoming a data scientist. Let us know about the pros and cons in details-
Advantages of a Data science-
Let us study the various advantages of data science first-
- It is in very high demand- Data science is something which is in very high demand. Candidates who are job seekers have many options. It is one of the highest growing profiles in LinkedIn and it is also predicted to provide approximately 11.5 million jobs by the end of the year 2026. This also makes data science a highly employable sector.
- Plenty of positions- There are only a few people who possess the right skill set to become a data scientist. Therefore, the competition in this field is less than compared to other profiles in the IT sectors. This also results in less saturated positions, giving lots of opportunities for candidates who are willing to become data scientists.
- A tremendous paid career- Data science is considered to be one of the highest-paid jobs amongst other jobs in the IT sectors. As per the research data scientists usually earn an average of $1,16,000 per year. This makes data science one of the most profitable career options for anyone.
- Data science is a flexible job- Being a data scientist is considered to be a very flexible job. Demand for them is in every sector be it in the health care sector, banking sector, consultancy services, or even in e-commerce industries. So, it is considered to be very versatile too. Therefore, one can have lots of opportunities to work in and field they choose.
- Data scientists present data in a better way- Companies require data scientists which are highly skilled as the role of a data scientist is to present complex data in such a manner so that it can be presented simply in front of the clients. They not just analyze the data but also improves the quality of the data for the betterment of the company.
- Data scientists are considered to be a very reputed job profile- The role of a data scientist is not just to analyze the data but also to participate in making business decisions for the company. Organizations usually depend on data scientists so that their expertise can be used to present complex data in such a way so that it can be used further for the betterment of the company. Therefore, data scientists are considered to be very important for any company they work for.
- The job profile is not at all boring- Data scientists are the people who have hugely helped many industries. Companies generally use historical data to work upon so that they can plan accordingly for the betterment of the company. They also use machines in a great way to perform jobs that are repetitive which also reduces the burden on humans in a great way.
- Data science makes use of products very smart and easy- The job of a data scientist involves the usage of machine learning which has also made it easy for industries to produce better-tailored products for customer usage.
- Data science can also help in saving lives- Concerning the field of data science, it has helped in many ways to improve the health care sector in a big way. With the invention of machine learning, it has become very easy to detect early errors. Also, many health care sectors use data science to help their clients.
- Data science also helps to make you a better person- Becoming a data scientist not only helps a person to become a better person but also gives you a problem-solving attitude. Since data scientists can be defined as a bridge between IT and management and one can enjoy the experiences of both fields together.
As we know that every field has disadvantages too along with advantages. Let us now know about some of the disadvantages too of choosing data scientist as a career as well-
- Data science can be defined as a fuzzy team- In general, data science does not have a defined explanation of what is it about. That is why it is defined as blurry and fuzzy. It is very difficult to give an exact definition of the term data science. Its role depends on the industry or company they work in.
- Clearing data science is next to impossible- Data science is a mixture of many fields such as computer science, mathematics, statistics. It is almost next to impossible for any candidate to be a master in each of the fields and be an equivalent master in each of the fields. Nowadays as the use of technology is increasing day by day, many online courses are trying to fill up the gap to cover the skills required to become a data scientist. Still, it becomes very difficult to be proficient enough in each of the fields in an equal manner. An individual with a background in computer science will not be able to master the field of statistics in a shorter period and vice versa. Therefore, it is an ever-changing field that requires a person to keep on updated with the necessary changes of data science from time to time.
- A huge amount of knowledge regarding the domain is required- One of the major disadvantages of data science is the whole dependency on the domain knowledge. Any person with a background in computer science or statistics will have a lot of problems working with data that is already complex without having thorough knowledge about the domain along with its basics. For example, any person working in the health care sector will have should have complete knowledge about molecular biology, and they will appoint an employee having complete about the same domain only. Any person from any other background will have a problem working on the data. Appointing employees with the same domain knowledge also helps data scientists to make calculative decisions. Therefore, it becomes difficult for any data scientist to shift from one industry to another very easily.
- Random data may result in unexpected results- As specified earlier role of a data scientist involves analyzing complex data into simple terms but picking up random data may not generate expected data. This can also lead to poor management and improper use of the resources provided to the data scientists.
- Facing problems while maintaining data privacy- For some organizations, data is the root of their growth of the company. As it also helps them to make data-driven decisions. However, data used in the process for the growth of the company may also not secure the privacy of the data of the customers we are using. The data which is used is personal and it is sometimes disclosed to the parent company which also leads to the leakage of the customer’s personal information. Different laws related to the privacy data and usage of the customer’s information may also lead to a problem for any organization that is willing to grow in the future.
Skills required to become a data scientist-
There is a huge shortage of highly skilled data scientists. Even though the demand and growth of this field are tremendous there is always a scarcity of the right set of highly skilled data scientists. Let us know about some of the skills required to become a data scientist-
- Having basic knowledge about the fundamentals of science
- Proper information about statistics as well.
- Knowing to program
- Should be able to do data manipulation and analyzing as well.
- Visualization of data
- Learning about machines
- Deep learning
- Should be able to handle a large amount of data
- Can be a software engineer as well
- Deployment of the model structure
- Good communication skills
- Having storytelling skills
- Should pursue a structured level of thinking
- Should have the curiosity to learn and gain more knowledge as well.
After studying the in-depth knowledge about what exactly is data science and what do data scientists do. Let us know how can we pursue this and choose data scientist as our career option-
How to become a data scientist in India?
Let us know about the job outlook of being a data scientist in India-
Recent research has shown that approximately 95,000 jobs as a data scientist in India as an opportunity is been opened up for any candidate who wants to pursue this as a career. As we all know the demand for data scientists is increasing day by in every field and sector especially in the field of technology and industrial domain as well. Therefore, it becomes very difficult for them to catch up with the supply of skilled data scientists in India.
However, it will not surprise any one of us reading this that more than 40% of the students have got the job as a data scientist in less than 24hours which can be considered to be a great number.
So, choosing to become a data scientist is truly a golden opportunity for anyone to pursue this.
Salary Structure of a data scientist in India?
As per the research, data scientists can be considered as one of the highest paying jobs in India. The average salary of a data scientist is approximately 10 lacs per year which can also go to 20 lacs per year for an experienced person. Companies situated in the metro cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore offer a higher salary. But that will change in the future depending on the situation as well. Many of the international companies also tend to open their center in Hyderabad as well because it is considered to be one of the most affordable cities amongst all the cities mentioned. Big companies like amazon, google, Facebook, Microsoft considers Hyderabad their hometown. And that increases more opportunities to get a job in this field.
Education required to become a data scientist-
To become a data scientist, one should pursue a bachelor’s degree in computer science, social science, physical science, and statistics as well. The most common field of studies includes different percentage such as Mathematics and science includes 32% which is followed by computer science which comprises 19% and engineering includes 16%.
Where to find jobs for data scientists in India?
It is not easy to find jobs in any field. Since the opportunity under this field also increases day by day. Some of the big players of the company and the locations wherein they are hiring are as follows-
- Amazon- hiring in Hyderabad and Bangalore
- Walmart- Hiring in Bangalore
- P&G- Hiring in Hyderabad
- Oracle- Hiring in Bangalore and Hyderabad
- IBM- Hiring in Bangalore.
After knowing so much in detail about Data science, its role, advantages, and disadvantages it can be summarized that choosing a career option as a data scientist has more Pros than cons with fewer disadvantages. Being a very competitive field, it has also one of the highest-paid jobs in India. With its disciplinary way, it is also not easy to pursue a career in this field. Therefore, it is very important to take a decision wisely to choose your career with the right set of skills an individual pursues.